Learning Corner for Adults/Parents
Need to Know – Social Media Apps/Sites Breakdowns
DEFEND’s podcast: Dark Side of the Web (a fictional account of real risks online for kids and vulnerable people). See more HERE.
How to Get Intimate Images Removed
Glossary of Internet Apps / Slang / Terms – HERE
Types of Online Risks
->Thought to be Safe Online Spaces – Video | Written
->Unknown External Influences
->Known or Trusted External Influences
->Connections Looking to Lure
->New or Used Gadgets
->Play on Insecurities
->Risk that Starts Offline
- New research from Ireland (Nov 2021) regarding children’s online usage – Read more HERE
- DEFEND study, looks at what restrictions, parental safeguards and other safety settings on 15 major social sites/apps. SEE MORE HERE (Parents – a must look!)
- DEFEND’s second study looks at misconceptions of online sexual abuse – This data was collected in 2021. See the results HERE.
- Kids and the Metaverse – Read it HERE – by Common Sense Media (www.commonsense.org)
- Report (March 30/22) on how social media usage affects children at different ages (UK’s Ofcom): Read it HERE.
- How much screen time for kids and why – by The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry – Read it HERE